The Trans Pennine Trail in South Yorkshire
- Elsecar Heritage Centre is an exciting antique, history and craft centre, hosting a range of events and offering an interesting and fun day out for all the family. The site hosts the Elsecar Steam Railway, the Living History Centre, a Victorian Classroom, Beam Engine and major events venue. Barnsley – Wentworth Castle
- Penistone – an historic Pennine market town. The traditional Retail Open Market offers everything under the sun, attracting farmers, auctioneers, locals and visitors alike every Thursday and the country market (formerly the WI market) operates on a Thursday morning. The Farmers Market is open on the second Saturday of the month in the retail market place. The Visitor Information Service in St John’s Church is open at the same times as the Farmers and Country Markets; the church has recently undergone refurbishment both inside and in the church yard. The Penistone Paramount is a traditional cinema, complete with intermission ice creams and bar, plus it also hosts concerts, pantomime and shows. The Paramount is also home to the Compton Theatre organ, the only one of its kind in its country and holds regular organ recitals.
- Wentworth Castle and Stainborough Park has over 40 acres of gardens and the only Grade I historic gardens in South Yorkshire, containing a wealth of 18th century features within a historic design. Home to National Plant Collections producing spectacular springtime colour.
- Wigfield Farm is a real working farm with rare breeds and small animals as well as the traditional farmyard animals, offering a fun visit for all the family. Refreshments, cafe, souvenirs and toilets available.
- Worsbrough Mill Museum and Country Park dates from 1625. On Milling days you can experience the noise and smells of the water-powered machinery grinding to produce flour. The Mill is set in a wonderful country park that is a haven for wildlife.
- Barnsley Market is located in the heart of Barnsley town centre with a bright modern shopping atmosphere with over 300 stalls in indoor and open areas.
- RSPB Old Moor with extensive visitor facilities is a fantastic place to watch wildlife and enjoy the mixture of habitats including open water, marsh, reed beds and grasslands. There is a visitor centre, shop, cafe and two mobility vehicles for the less mobile visitors to explore the reserve.
- Pot House Hamlet at Silkstone is an historic visitor attraction located just below the church in Silkstone village. There are many amenities, including a picnic site along side Silkstone beck, a National ancient monument, The Potting shed café, Tom Horsfield plant nursery, Pookie Womenswear and much more. Open 7 days a week.
- Wortley Top Forge – This 17th Century Iron Forge in Thurgoland is acknowledged as being the oldest surviving Heavy Iron Forge in the World. The forge is Water Powered and its history can be traced back to 1640. The site has been used for various processes but it is best known for the Wrought Iron Railway Axles that were produced between 1840 and around 1910. Exhibits at Top Forge include the original water wheels and water powered drop hammers within the original Forge building that is progressively being restored to 1900s condition. All three Water Wheels can be run subject to conditions.
- Barnsley Main Colliery – The Barnsley Main Colliery is the remains of large deep mining site located in the Barnsley area in South Yorkshire. The remaining structures have been assigned Grade II Listed status due to their historical significance. The Colliery is know for being the site of the Oaks Disaster which took the lives of 383 people. Find out more through this link.
- Dearne Valley Park – This wildlife haven is less than a mile from Barnsley Town Centre and extends for two miles along the River Dearne from Hoyle Mill on the A61 to the Trans-Pennine Trail viaduct at Lundwood. At the centre of the Park is the River Dearne, now so full of life that this is one of the best places to see kingfishers in the Valley at any time of year. You can find out more through this link.
- Magna Science Adventure Centre offers a fantastic interactive adventure through science whether young or old. Come prepared as Magna is a ‘coats on’ experience. Cafe serves hot and cold food, snacks and drinks. The Magna store sells unique range of souvenirs.
- Rother Valley Country Park with over 300 hectares offers extensive scope for many types of recreation including water sports centre, cable water ski system, day fishing, outdoor play area, golf centre, orienteering, craft centre, cafe, visitor centre, toilets, refreshments and gift shop. Sheffield Cable Water Ski are based at this location and offer further offer wakeboarding and water-skiing plus an inflatable aqua park.
- Beighton Village has a rich heritage including a 12th century church, the Ochre Dike Park, converted from farm buildings and the recent Time Works sculptures. Local people have created a 2.5mile walk around the village incorporating the Trans Pennine Trail.
- Woodhouse Washlands Nature Reserve – visit this wonderful Nature Reserve to discover the wealth of wildlife, flora and forna. The reserve is also host to many breeding birds throughout the year. Open every day, all year round.
- Rotherham Visitor Centre provides a service for both visitors and local people alike, giving information on facilities and tourist attractions of the surrounding area Sheffield
- Meadowhall Shopping Centre has over 270 stores under one roof with easy access for all. Lots of shopping, refreshments stops, entertainment and much, much more.
- Within the heart of the city centre lie the Peace Gardens, Millennium Galleries and Winter Gardens with their architectural splendour, which should be at the top of any visitor itinerary.
- Sheffield Tourist Information provides in-depth knowledge to the many exciting opportunities for eating, drinking, shopping and the beautiful and richness of its open spaces.
- Beighton Lifestyle Centre & Cafe offers a wide range of services including free use of our toliets and also an affordable cafe run by volunteers open 6 days of the week!