Welcome to the Trans Pennine Trail
A national coast to coast route for recreation and transport – for walkers, cyclists and (in parts) horse riders
The Trail in South Yorkshire
- Elsecar Heritage Centre is an exciting antique, history and craft centre, hosting a range of events and offering an interesting and fun day out for all the family. The site hosts the Elsecar Steam Railway, the Living History Centre, a Victorian Classroom, Beam Engine and major events venue. Barnsley – Wentworth Castle
- Penistone – an historic Pennine market town. The traditional Retail Open Market offers everything under the sun, attracting farmers, auctioneers, locals and visitors alike every Thursday and the country market (formerly the WI market) operates on a Thursday morning. The Farmers Market is open on the second Saturday of the month in the retail market place. The Visitor Information Service in St John’s Church is open at the same times as the Farmers and Country Markets; the church has recently undergone refurbishment both inside and in the church yard. The Penistone Paramount is a traditional cinema, complete with intermission ice creams and bar, plus it also hosts concerts, pantomime and shows. The Paramount is also home to the Compton Theatre organ, the only one of its kind in its country and holds regular organ recitals.
- Wentworth Castle and Stainborough Park has over 40 acres of gardens and the only Grade I historic gardens in South Yorkshire, containing a wealth of 18th century features within a historic design. Home to National Plant Collections producing spectacular springtime colour.
- Wigfield Farm is a real working farm with rare breeds and small animals as well as the traditional farmyard animals, offering a fun visit for all the family. Refreshments, cafe, souvenirs and toilets available.
- Worsbrough Mill Museum and Country Park dates from 1625. On Milling days you can experience the noise and smells of the water-powered machinery grinding to produce flour. The Mill is set in a wonderful country park that is a haven for wildlife.
- Barnsley Market is located in the heart of Barnsley town centre with a bright modern shopping atmosphere with over 300 stalls in indoor and open areas.
- RSPB Old Moor with extensive visitor facilities is a fantastic place to watch wildlife and enjoy the mixture of habitats including open water, marsh, reed beds and grasslands. There is a visitor centre, shop, cafe and two mobility vehicles for the less mobile visitors to explore the reserve.
- Pot House Hamlet at Silkstone is an historic visitor attraction located just below the church in Silkstone village. There are many amenities, including a picnic site along side Silkstone beck, a National ancient monument, The Potting shed café, Tom Horsfield plant nursery, Pookie Womenswear and much more. Open 7 days a week.