Bienvenue sur le Pennine Sentier transcanadien

Une côte nationale à la route de la côte pour les loisirs et le transport - pour les randonneurs, cyclistes et (dans les parties) cavaliers

Trans Pennine Trail logo
Trans Pennine Trail logo

Bienvenue sur le Pennine Sentier transcanadien

Une côte nationale à la route de la côte pour les loisirs et le transport - pour les randonneurs, cyclistes et (dans les parties) cavaliers

Hong Kong to Hornsea via Southport

Nov 8, 2013

topimageI have to admit I was worried at the start of my journey to completing the Trans Pennine Trail. As a Hong Kong resident I first planned to attempt the route in 2006, during my usual summer break in the UK. Cependant, this all came to nothing when during a training ride on the Hull to Hornsea section I fell off the bike sustaining a broken wrist and a visit to Hull Royal Infirmary. Dans 2007 reported flooding on sections of the Trail thwarted my plans.

This year my main purpose for being in the UK was to attend my daughter’s graduation from University; my Wife had seen enough of my injuries and did not want them recorded in the graduation pictures, therefore I was banned from the bike until after the ceremony.

With the graduation a success and me still uninjured, I was now awaiting some decent weather to attempt the route. Eventually the conditions looked reasonable, so on June 2nd I boarded a train with a borrowed bike and set out from Hull for Liverpool. I next rode the bike out to Southport and bedded down for the night in a B&B ready to kick off the next day.

Day One: The morning of June 3rd arrived with a stiff breeze from the southwest and rain; so much for the predicted sunny conditions. Undeterred, and having taken the obligatory photograph at the start point, I set off from Southport under black skies with heavy rain falling. At least the wind was in approximately the right direction, pushing me along from the side. By Aintree the rain stopped, my morale improved and I made good progress to Halewood. Cependant, the weather gods intervened again just before the Widnes Bridge with a thunderstorm interrupting this rather pleasant section along the Mersey. As I pressed on along the Sankey Canal, avoiding the fishermen and their rods, the rain eased and the sun shone again. Bliss.

Wilderspool, near Warrington, presented my first major route challenge. Essentially I got lost when presented with a number of options for the way ahead and some unclear signs. After a detour I re-established contact with the Trail with the help of a kind lady cyclist, who went out of her way to lead me back onto the Trail. She clearly took petty on me and for that I’m thankful.

I opted for Stockport as my first day’s destination, with a helpful taxi driver directing me to a motel for an excellent nights sleep. I was tired, but relatively fine by this stage.

First Day: 73 miles Time riding: 7 hrs 12 procès-verbal

Day Two: Day two promised sunshine and hot conditions, and for once the weatherman was correct. My departure from Stockport went off route for a while as I struggled to find the Trail. After doubling back for a short distance, I was back on the route and heading to Hadfield through the Tame Valley. Arriving in Hadfield I took a short break for a late breakfast in a ‘local café for local people.’

Suitably refreshed, I next ventured onto the Pennines proper anticipating a hard climb to Woodhead Pass along the Longdendale Trail. To my surprise and great relief the climb was steady, with an easy gradient allowing me to maintain a decent speed. The views back over the reservoirs were lovely. The Longdendale Trail is clearly popular; busy with cyclist, walkers and a couple of horse riders all enjoying the sunny weather.

In no time I reached the blocked tunnel entrances and climbed to the A628. I stuck with the path over moorland finally cresting at Woodhead Pass. An easier route with a bike is to climb with the road, although the large lorries make this a risky option and it is not recommended. Next came the fast drop from Windle Edge into Dunford Bridge; just make sure your brakes are functioning for the stop near the bottom. I then turned onto the old rail line for a steady drop into Penistone. With the Pennines behind me I felt a great sense of achievement.

How far to go on Day Two was the next question I faced. I set my initial target as Selby, although as the day progressed and the fatigue kicked in I opted for Sykehouse, just north of Doncaster. I called my parents and arranged a pick up. Just beyond Doncaster, on a canal path, I had my only puncture of the trip caused by a large thorn. To be honest I had expected more punctures and feel lucky to get away with just one. A swift repair had me going again for a pick up at Sykehouse and home to Beverley for a soak in a hot bath.

Second day: 74 miles Time riding: 7 heures

Day Three: I was driven back to Sykehouse under threatening skies with gale force winds forecast and heavy rain expected. It looked like the British summer was over. As I boarded the bike the heavens opened whilst the wind decided to play games with me with gusts alternating from behind and then to the front. My progress was painfully slow with my mood rapidly deteriorating. As Selby came into view a welcoming McDonalds used its tractor beam to drag me in and held me for an hour as the rain tapped against the windows.

With the worst of the weather out the way, I set off again only to find the track dug up along the Ouse Bank. Clues to a diversion where posted on a rain sodden piece of paper hanging forlornly on the blocked entrance to the Trail. After 20 minutes I managed to get onto the Trail to press on with my relentless journey east. Patchy sunshine now accompanied me through Yokefleet, and I removed my rain gear, although I had not seen the last of the rain. I took a brief stop in South Cave for some refreshments, then set my sights on the Humber Bridge that was now beckoning me closer to Hull.

The ride along the Humber bank towards the bridge was the bumpiest I encountered on the entire trip, with my lower regions registering every hit. Maybe it was tiredness, but the ride felt rough and I was glad when I reached asphalt. Leaving the bridge area the rain was back with vengeance with a heavy downpour greeting me for my ride into Hull. The route through Hull is well signed and I was soon on the last leg along the old rail line to Hornsea. The rain had stopped but my lower regions were now protesting after three days in the saddle. I know the Hull to Hornsea track well and was able to tick off the landmarks as I raced to the finish.

Suddenly it was over, as my parents greeted me at a deserted Hornsea finish point. Je l'avais fait en trois jours couvrant une distance totale de 221 miles, tel que mesuré par mon GPS. Je roulais avec un moniteur cardiaque qui m'a aidé à calculer ma dépense calorique totale à environ 13,500. Et devine quoi, pas de blessures sauf un cul douloureux!

La pluie menace à nouveau, J'ai rapidement emballé et chargé le vélo sur la voiture de papa pour rentrer chez moi pour un long bain dans un bain chaud et une bière froide bien méritée.

Troisième jour: 74 miles Time riding: 7 heures

Quelques idées: Mon vélo était un Marin Muirwood 29er prêté. Le vélo était bien à la hauteur, bien que les pneus urbains lisses aient lutté sur le mouillé et ont nécessité une manipulation prudente dans la boue. Être juste, le sentier était relativement sec malgré la pluie, bien que la boue et les flaques d'eau soient à prévoir dans les zones où le soleil n'atteint pas. Aucune piste n'est technique. En d'autres termes, c'est une conduite relativement facile et un vélo à suspension n'est pas le plus grand bien qu'il rendrait les choses plus confortables sur quelques sections, surtout le long de la banque Humber.

J'ai trouvé de nombreux magasins sur la route ou juste à côté, il était donc possible de faire le plein d'eau et d'autres articles essentiels au fur et à mesure.. À un moment donné, un magasin de vélos bien garni est positionné directement sur le sentier (près de Penistone si ma mémoire est correcte.)

L'itinéraire est étonnamment facile à suivre avec une signalisation généralement bonne. Je me suis appuyé sur la carte officielle du TPT pour les directions, ce qui était suffisant, même si je me suis perdu plusieurs fois en raison de ma propre mauvaise lecture des fonctionnalités.

topimage-1La caractéristique la plus gênante du Trail est les portes cyclables inclinées. Je construirais une vitesse décente, puis je devrais démonter et négocier une porte qui, par endroits, est si étroite qu'un vélo avec des sacoches a du mal à les dégager. de plus, ces portes semblent superflues étant donné que les motos cherchant à accéder au sentier pourraient facilement utiliser l'entrée pour chevaux adjacente. Les portails battants se sont avérés une option plus facile. Ayant dit cela, le Trail est bien organisé et une joie de rouler. Côté décor, les choses s'améliorent certainement à partir de Hadfield.

Vous devez donc être super en forme pour rouler d'un océan à l'autre? Non, est la réponse simple. Bien que je me considère comme un homme de 48 ans raisonnablement apte, en partie à mon vélo régulier à Hong Kong et en Chine, in my view the Trans Pennine appears to be well within the reach of any rider with a bit of preparation. So get out there and enjoy!

Steve Wordsworth

cartographie accessible

En collaboration avec les autorités locales à travers le sentier, nous avons examiné les sections à travers la piste qui sont accessibles pour tous les utilisateurs, les voir ici

cartographie accessible

En collaboration avec les autorités locales à travers le sentier, nous avons examiné les sections à travers la piste qui sont accessibles pour tous les utilisateurs, les voir ici

Liens utiles pour l'information

Consultez nos liens utiles en matière d'accessibilité

partager cette